Wednesday 19 March 2014

LNG - Episode 3 - Road Rage

Ok. So, as most of you know, I grew up for the majority of my life in the wonderful little city of Sudbury. Or I suppose as they call it now the "City of Greater Sudbury"and soon to be Sudbury: Canada’s Resourceful City. Either way, my fellow Sudburians may attest the the horrible road conditions.

I do love my hometown, however every street is LITTERED with pot holes. So much so that the city has itself invest in what is formally known as Pothole Patrol. Put it isn't the only problem with the driving in Sudbury... it's the drivers. Yep. I said it. It's me, and you, and you, and you. We don't pay attention, we follow too close on slippery roads, we hit those potholes, we rush through lights, and we build silly intersections like Killer's Crossing (the intersections of Lorne St, Regent St, Ontario St, Riverside Dr AND the railroad crossing... and yes, 3 of these 4 streets continue in both directions past the intersection)


If you ever want to get from Regent St north (top of the map) to Regent St south (bottom), you have better be quick! The situation goes something like the following: 1) Look back over your angled shoulder for a gap in traffic; 2) Pray to God the light ahead is green so that the way is hopefully clear, or else you may as well wait; 3) dash across a few lanes of traffic to the turning lane and hope to God you service; and 4) if it is clear, hope there is no train coming AND that the lights on the opposite side the tracks are green so you don't get stuck on the tracks after you've completed your turn; and 5) Oh, don't forget to look at all the traffic at the other streets too, this map does it no justice but honestly it is confusing and terrifying all mixed into one. 

That all being said, moving to the city I knew things would be different. But to be honest both they're both just as bad. And I'm waiting for it, I'll get a bunch of slack from my Northern Friends, but let me explain. Yes, the city is fast paced, people move quickly, change lanes at a blink of an eye, and honk what seems like every 2 seconds. Accidents? They happen but not as common as you'd think, especially with the number of people that are on the road. Driving into the MTO building? Nope, that seems to be strictly a Sudbury thing, through and through. Sorry guys, but sometimes the driving stories you hear from up there are just BAD



One thing I hear often is "I'll get lost" and "I don't know the roads"... look, do you really think you just memorized the roads of Sudbury the first time you were there, or whatever your home may be? No. Ok maybe if you're a genius and if thats the case you probably wouldn't say you'd get lost. But I digress... almost everyone has a smartphone, a map, GPS of some sort, or ALL THREE. To trust me, if you can listen to a little electronic device and it's possible voice guidance directions, you can get around and you will be A-OK...

I also hear from many of you that you don't want to visit the city because "It's so stressful" or "I can't drive down there, they are crazy and can't drive!" In my personal opinion, City drivers have amazing talent. They learn to be patient, to recognize opportunity, to not be afraid of loud noises or frantic scenarios. But they do drive safely and if I may propose, I think its you that is throwing them off when you come visit. Kidding... really though, we all drive, we all drive differently, BUT we all drive effectively and CAN visit each other and come out alive. Maybe if they look some pointers from us Northerner's, and we took some from the City folk, we could all just get along and drive in peace. 


Stay beautiful!
xox,
Kisses and Curls
(aka Northern Girl)


PS. Voting is open until Sunday morning, but it looks like my next instalment will be a love theme... get your votes in!

1 comment:

  1. Having driven in TO, I can attest the above is true. I would actually venture to say that TOnians have a better driving etiquette then Sudburians. And yes, I think we do throw them off when we are driving amongst them. The whole experience can seem a little overwhelming, but you just have to pay attention and go with the flow. A driving aid is a big help.

    ReplyDelete